Are you looking for online transcription jobs for beginners? Well, you’ve come to the right place. Below is a list of some transcription sites where you can find work as an audio transcriber.
General transcription jobs are perfect for beginners because you can start without any experience or education. But it will take lots of practice to become fast and proficient enough to make money or extra cash.
In the beginning, you may not find steady work. You may need to work for more than one company until you find your footing.
The pay will usually below, but this is an opportunity for inexperienced people. If you are a teen, you may have more job opportunities here because they’re willing to hire inexperienced people.
You will need to take a skills test in order to be considered for a transcribing job with the following companies.
Keep in mind that with online transcription jobs, you are paid by the “audio hour or minute”. This is distinct from the traditional work-world pay structure. The audio hour is the total number of minutes of video or audio given to you to transcribe.
On average, it takes a good transcriber three to four hours to transcribe an hour of audio. You’re going to playback the file many times to get the exact words; you might be dealing with strong or different accents.
A good transcriptionist can take three to four hours to transcribe an hour of audio. Often, they have to playback the file many times to get the exact words; sometimes accents can be difficult to understand.
The data can be technical and hard to understand. It would take a lot of concentration to get the perfect transcription, so I’m going to break it down for you.
Soft Skills For Transcriptionists Job
Here are the basic soft skills you need to start working as a Transcriptionists
- Good Typing Speed: One of the most important skills and it matters a lot for transcriptionist / transcribing job. The faster you type, the more money you’ll make. Typing skill play an important role if you love to do online jobs from home.
- Pass the Skill Test: Any reputable website will require you to take a test to ensure that you have what it takes. Don’t worry, they will give you with the necessary guidelines. I recommend taking as much time as you need to read the requirements because you may have to wait a while before retaking the test.
- Listening Abilities: In this job, you will need to be able to understand different accents and hear words that may be mumbled or spoken in a noisy environment. Listening skills are tested a lot.
Equipment For Transcriptionists
If you’re just starting out, here’s the equipment I would suggest. It’s not necessary to buy everything at once. Instead, buy what you can afford now and you can always upgrade later.
- Computer With A High-Speed Internet Connection: The most important equipment necessary for transcribing is a high-speed internet connection, dial-up will not work.
- Transcription Software: Express Scribe is preferred by most transcriptionists, but there are others available. Most of the software available is free or costs a small fee. Transcribing can be made faster by using a foot pedal software. It allows you to pause, play, fast-forward, and rewind. This is not necessary to have in order to transcribe, but it will help you make more money if you are looking for that.
- Headphones: Most transcriptionists prefer stethoscope-style headphones and they are usually pretty cheap.
- Microsoft Word: Microsoft Word is the preferred software, it’s used in the guides and courses for transcriptionists.
How To Improve Your Transcription Skills
If you believe you meet all of the above conditions, congrats! You are now ready to apply for one of these online transcription jobs for beginners. If you need some practice before you begin, you can visit a variety of free websites to improve your skills.
The following sites will give you an idea of what is required for an online transcription job, and how to be prepared to find one.
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab: Purdue has a great set of worksheets for you to practice your skills as much as you want to. You will find worksheets on a variety of topics that will allow you to improve your grammar.
- Transcribe Anywhere: Provides a FREE Mini-Course with expert suggestions and advice for beginner transcriptionists. Enroll in their free 7-lesson mini-course to learn more about transcribing, the demand for transcriptionists, the skills required, and whether it’s a smart career choice for you.
Rate Of Pay For Online Transcription Jobs
It’s easy to see that the demand for transcriptionists is high. In order to be successful, you need to keep your skills sharp.
The average median annual income for a general transcriptionist is $45,000 and $60,000 for a legal transcriptionist. Once you get better at your job, you can become a project manager and hire subcontractors of your own. This in turn will greatly increase your earnings.
If you’re looking for a good side-hustle, consider becoming a freelance transcriptionist.
List of 15 Transcription Companies that Offer Online Transcription Jobs for Beginners
GoTranscript hires people from all over the world and offers transcription jobs for beginners which is a good way to make some extra money on the side. They pay about $0.60 per audio or video minute.
Let’s do some math. If you spend 3 minutes on a minute of audio or video, you’ll spend 20 minutes on each hour of audio or video. In this case, your hourly rate will be $12.
Transcription is an important service that can take time. When transcribing audio or video, you have to be quick. It also takes practice to become good at it. They pay their editors more than the transcribers. On the other hand, the average income of transcribers is only $150 per month. The major complaint is about low pay.
One thing people say is that the company’s website provides a good starting point for those that have no experience. Just keep a high score and make sure you don’t mess up any transcription projects.
2. Accutran Global
Accutran Global is a transcription company that offers transcription jobs for beginners or work opportunities for those new to the field. Before you start, you’ll need to pass a skills test. Work is fast-paced and will require you to be quick.
For basic audio, they pay an average of $0.005 per word, and for more difficult audio, they pay an average of $0.0066. Payments are made on the 15th of every month, and payments can be accepted by US and Canadian citizens.
3. Daily Transcription
As the name implies, this resource submits transcription work in a timely manner. The work here is usually done more quickly than at other sites. There is no fixed amount of work to be had, so you cannot rely on this site to keep you busy all the time.
They offer a diverse range of transcription services, such as legal, entertainment, and financial. To find out more about the company, you can check their website and submit your resume. If you pass the test, you will be able to transcribe for them.
Daily Transcription is a serious transcription service that offers jobs to people who are fluent in English and several other languages. They simply require that applicants be able to type at 50 words per minute and be deadline-oriented.
Beginners welcome. They’ll train you to do the transcription work. The bad news is that only people in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, or SA can work as Transcriptionist. Experienced transcribers will earn more than other transcription companies that are hiring candidates.
They offer a starting price of $0.75 per audio minute to a maximum of $0.85 per minute. Top transcriptionists make anywhere from $250 to $950 per week.
Appenscribe does hire beginners, but you must first undergo training in order to succeed on the platform. Projects are directly related to your quality of work. The more you do, the more projects you receive.
You can make around $10 per audio hour according to the forums on the Appenscribe website. You can sign up here.
“Appenscribe is a platform that allows anyone with a smartphone to transcribe audio files and be paid instantly for their work.”
5. Transcribe Me
TranscribeMe is a place where people can get started with transcription without much difficulty. Transcribe Me offers a quick start online transcription job for beginners. They do not require much to get started and there is a short, easy test to take that is graded automatically.
If you pass the test, you can work right away and earn $20 per audio hour. You can retake the test after 24 hours if you happen to fail. Don’t worry about failing your test. You can always retake it, but you’ll have to wait 24 hours.
6. Babble Type
Babble Type transcription service hires both experienced transcriptionists and inexperienced transcriptionists. As a transcriber, you get paid $12-$15 per hour for your work. You get paid via Paypal.
They are always looking for people who are skilled in language, listening, and more sophisticated transcript formats.
Tigerfish is an old resource for transcribers, having been around since 1989, and offers online transcription jobs for beginners.
In order to start working with Tigerfish, you have to complete three to five-minute tests. These tasks typically take about twenty minutes to complete. The pay for transcribing is 3 to 4 cents per line.
Scribie is the perfect site for freelancers. It offers the most flexibility with the least pay, at $10 per audio hour. I recommend it to freelancers who need to keep their overhead low, and who want to do more than three hours of work per month.
Scribie has a lower pay rate, so you probably won’t earn a lot here. Payments vary from $0.05 to $5.00 for a 6-minute audio file. Compared to some of the websites mentioned here, it’s not as competitive.
You can make money with their referral program. For each order that is placed by a customer you refer, you will earn 5% of the order total. And for every transcript created by a transcriber you refer, you will get 2.5% of the income made from that transcript.
I’m sure you want to know why I’m mentioning this site if it doesn’t pay that well. The truth is, it can still benefit those who want to learn about transcription.
You won’t be able to make a living with it, but you could get the basics down. So, in short, this site can act as a stepping stone for those who want to make a career in transcription.
A perfect site for those transcribers who are looking for online transcription jobs as beginners.
9. GMR Transcription
GMR, in my opinion, is one of the best places to work because they scored well on the review sites I looked at. The salary ranges from $7.00 to $10.00 per hour.
The pay rate will be determined by the turnaround time, the number of speakers per file, and the audio quality. In general, we recommend this company highly.
Another thing to keep in mind is that GMR provides a probation period for new transcribers. This period means a new transcriber must transcribe at least two hours of audio before they are paid for their work. In addition, they must do at least four hours of audio per month in order to continue working with GMR.
Quicktate is one of the most well-known companies for transcription jobs. They specialize in work for beginners and stay true to their goal of delivering a fast turnaround and a high-quality experience. Quicktate offers transcription jobs for beginners who want to make a difference.
The pay at Quicktate ranges from 1/4 to 1/2 cent per word transcribed. But before you’re hired, they’ll need to run a background check. Those costs $15.
SpeakWrite partners with clients that are in the government and law enforcement sector as well as private and legal clients. Just like any other job, transcriptionists choose when they want to work their shifts. However, they must work at least fifteen hours a month.
12. Crowd Surf
CrowdSurf is a community of freelancers who transcribe videos for those who are deaf or speak other languages. Tasks are available on the platform, and they get paid as soon as the task is finished. Crowdsurf pays weekly.
Crowdsurf is looking for transcriptionists to work remotely. The company offers flexible hours and projects. Transcriptionists MUST use Amazon’s Mechanical Turk to find tasks that need completing and complete them for Crowdsurf.
Bam provides entertainment transcription, legal transcribing, corporate transcription, financial transcription, research transcription, and general transcription services. You will need to apply as independent contractor to work as a transcriber with Bam. If interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To become a contractor with Bam, you must pass the skills test.
Rev is a reputable company that offers beginners the opportunity to earn money online with transcription jobs. If you’re looking for a job that pays over $200 per month, you should consider Rev.
As of now, Rev is the largest online transcription company. Rev is the company for you if you’re a beginner looking for a transcription job online. Though the skills tests can be difficult.
Rev is a new transcription service that offers audio and video transcription for beginners who pass the initial application process. Once you’re accepted, you can transcribe any audio or video that’s available.
CastingWords is an online transcribing service that is not so popular among transcribers because of the low pay. They don’t require a test, but you do have to read their style guide to ensure you are working according to their guidelines. A good site that offers online transcription jobs for beginners
I like how they pay based on how well you do. If you do really well, then they will pay you more than those who don’t.
0–4 Grade: Rejected and you are not paid
5 Grade: The base pay amount
Grade 6: 1.5 times the base pay amount
Graded 7: 2.0 times the base pay amount
Grade 8: 2.5 times the base pay amount
Grade 9: 3.0 times the base pay amount
You can earn up to a dollar for every minute that you transcribe. The downside is that you will not make a decent amount of money unless you are accurate. In fact, your earnings on this website will be much lower than on other websites if you are not able to transcribe accurately.
Clickworker is a crowdsourcing marketplace that offers transcription work as part of its many job opportunities.
The transcription jobs from Clickworker aren’t always consistent – but when there is work available, it will be high-quality and from reputable companies.
Plus, you may find other kinds of work that you enjoy doing on Clickworker which could lead you down a different path of making money from home.
Want to improve your chances of getting a good-paying job as a general transcriptionist?
Want to improve your chances of getting a good-paying job as a general transcriptionist? This FREE Mini-Course offers expert tips and advice for transcription newbies.
Enroll in there Free 7-lesson mini-course to learn more about transcription, the demand for transcriptionists, the skill involved, and whether or not it’s a good career choice for you.
How to succeed as an online transcriptionist
There are certain ways you can make a great first impression in this field. If you want to excel at this job and increase your earning potential, keep these things in mind:
- Be accurate. Make sure your transcripts are clean and you’ve caught every spoken word on your audio file. When you’re a beginner, accuracy is more important than speed.
- Meet your deadlines. When you’re starting out as an online transcriber, it might take you longer to finish an assignment than you expect. Allow yourself plenty of time to meet your deadlines.
- Advertise online. Once you have some experience, you can create a website online to boost yourself as a transcriber. You can post to social media with links to your website.
|Want to work from home but an online transcription job isn’t for you? Here’s a list of work from home jobs that don’t require any money to get started. You will see that some are highpaying jobs.|
Pros and Cons of Being a Transcriptionist
- Work from anywhere – As a transcriptionist, your location doesn’t matter. You can work remotely as long as you have wifi.
- Set your own rates – As you become more experienced in your field and start going off on your own, you’ll be able to set your own rates.
- Work when you want – You’ll get to decide when you work as your own boss.
- You’ll be helping people – Working as a transcriptionist means you’ll have the chance to help people access their favorite content in the written form. You might not think that’s a big deal, but I guarantee it is.
- Personal development – If you’re serious about being a transcriptionist and take the transcription career path seriously, you’ll develop skills that will last you a lifetime.
- It can be boring – Listening to audio clips can be tedious. Some people love it, others not so much.
- Job sites have low pay – Anyone can apply to these transcription jobs, but the pay won’t be that high. The sites above here are a good place to start, but the real money is made in private clients.
- It’s lonely – As a transcriptionist, you’ll be doing your job from home, which can be lonely. But luckily, there are ways to connect with other transcriptionists. First, try Facebook – it’s a great place to start!
Frequently Asked Questions About Online Transcription Jobs For Beginners
What are the main types of transcription work?
While transcriptionists can work in a variety of industries, the following are the most common:
Medical Transcriptionists: Medical transcriptionists transcribe medical reports that contain health information about patients.
Legal transcriptionists: Unlike court reporters, who transcribe live court proceedings, legal transcriptionists use word processing software to translate audio recordings.
General transcriptionists: A general transcriptionist is a transcriptionist who does not specialize in medical or legal transcription.
What training do you need to be a transcriptionist?
The training you need to be a transcriptionist depends on the type of transcriptionist you want to be: legal, medical, or general. In order to train as a general transcriptionist, the best course of action is taking transcribing courses.
Free Transcription Tools You Can Try
Transcription is a great skill to have in our online world. With it, you can make records of anything in written form, improve the accessibility to your content, or maximize your SEO.
There are plenty of free options to use when transcribing content. Find the time to practice and you’ll see success with your own personal transcription.
Here are some free tools which you can use
2. Express Scribe
3. The FTW Transcriber